Thursday, September 2, 2021

A resounding shambles – sorry about the video links ...

 

Hi everyone

Apologies!

Just a short (for me) and apologetic posting to everyone who subscribes to my blog via email. Apparently lots of you have been getting the text, but instead of the videos there's just a huge black box with nothing in it.

That wasn't the plan!

So, to repeat the video postings of the previous two days for anyone interested in spending five minutes on YouTube looking at my guided tours of Garden Amateur land, here are the links, just as old-fashioned links to click on.

Handy hint: turn the volume of the sound up!

Here's a link to the first one (west side of the garden)

And here's a link to the second one (east side)


2 comments:

Phil in Newy said...

Not sure what others experienced but I wouldn't feel too apologetic, nor call it a shambles.

My browsers (Chrome, Edge, FireFox, and Opera) on a PC running Windows 10 were all quite happy, despite the use of ad blockers and script-safe addons for security, which can deliberately 'break' a web page unless permissions are given.

However, if subscribers were hoping to view the video from within their email clients (ie, within the email itself) then that is most problematic. Email clients (and servers) are protected in many ways against scripts and and potentially dangerous (compromising) media.

Your photos in earlier posts appeared within the message body but I would not have expected to see the vid in the email and, anyway, always click through to your website which formats the page properly.

Jamie said...

That's good to know Phil. You sound like someone who knows his computers. I'm afraid I only know how my computer and my software works, and when I checked on my subscription email for the Garden Amateur blog, the video box came up as black, but with text and a link to YouTube.

It was when other friends contacted me, sending me screenshots of the awful big black, text-less boxes they were getting that I decided to make amends with this posting just of the links themselves.

I think I might just go back to low-tech photos and text! I can do that ...