Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Learning to love radishes


And the winner, ladies and gentlemen, of the seed-sowing race, planted on Sunday morn and announced this Wednesday morning, is... the radish seeds of course!

Hardly a shock winner, but three days is good going. That's why
they say radish are great for kids to sow, because they come up
so fast. It's a shame when it gets to the time for the kids to taste
their first radish, though! In fact I've been a bit that way about
radishes for many years, but this summer I've learned to love them.

Now I can't believe that I haven't taken a photo
of the radishes we've been pulling up, but I just
did a search of my iPhoto files and all I came
up with was this. Mine don't look quite as uniform
as these, but seed packets are like that.

Now, the thing I've learned to love about radishes is how a bit of moderation can go a long way. I've always made the mistake of cutting radishes into too-big slices then finding that I dislike their pepperiness. This year I've been chopping them up much smaller then tossing them into salads, and they've lost that peppery flavour and have now taken on just a warm glow. On the weekend I added some, finely chopped, to a lentil salad and I think they were the magic ingredient that made it go 'zing'.

This shot of the Baker's Creek seed catalogue page on radishes
shows that these rather neglected, almost maligned, little salad
zingers can actually be quite pretty, too.
I don't think I'm going to turn into a radish enthusiast any time soon, but it is good to get to know a vegie you haven't especially liked all that much and find a use for it in the kitchen that's actually valuable.

In the garden these really are a pleasing little thing to grow. So fast and so easy. From now on there's always going to be a little place set aside for just a small row of radishes to add their mouth-warming magic where it's needed.




3 comments:

Mel said...

I love radishes - I pull them out of the ground, rinse them off and eat them like lollies! YUM.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

This may sound odd - but it really is the case - that if you take half a radish and eat it with a generous bit of butter (cold, not melted) it can be very pleasant and not hot, just crispy and fresh.

garden shops online said...

Radishes have numerous varieties, varying in size, color and duration of required cultivation time.Radishes require well-drained soil with consistent moisture.