Tracy Rutherford’s Corn and Capsicum Fritters
• 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup (125mL) milk
• kernels cut from 1 corn cob (or 400g can corn kernels, drained)
• 1 large red capsicum, diced
• vegetable oil, for cooking
• 2 tablespoons chopped chives
• 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
• crispy grilled bacon, to serve
1. Sift the flour, cayenne pepper and a generous pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in the parmesan. Whisk the eggs and milk together and gently stir into the flour mix. Add the corn and capsicum to the batter. Fold in with a large metal spoon, until just combined. Don’t overwork the mixture or the fritters will be tough.
2. Pour a thin film of oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. For each fritter, measure 1/3 cup of the mixture, drop it into the pan, and let it spread to about 10cm diameter. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, and 1 1/2 minutes on the other.
3. Stir the chives into the sour cream. Serve a spoonful of this mix on top of the fritters, with some crispy bacon on the side.
And if you like the sound of Don's radio show, you can access the full podcast at the 2UE website here, and also subscribe to it via iTunes.