Monday, October 26, 2020

Well, that didn't last long


Well, there I was thinking that gardening is a safe and easy way to pass the time, and I end up in the emergency ward at Westmead Hospital with a broken ankle.

The short version of the story is that I was doing some gardening at Pam's mother's townhouse, fixing up the mess of pots and plants on her ground-floor balcony. The last phase of the successful operation was to hose down the balcony, then return the hose back to the garden area behind her townhouse.

It was such a low balcony that the 60cm (2 feet) drop from the tiled floor onto the grass below presented no obvious dangers, and so off I jumped. My left foot landed on the soft green lawn perfectly, no problems. But my right foot landed right on top of a hidden concrete edging strip around the lawn. Suddenly a little 60cm drop felt like a plummet into the abyss. Ouch.

And pictured below, this is how my right ankle looked about four hours later, in the Emergency Ward.


The prognosis isn't too bad, but it doesn't involve any gardening. I need to have my leg in plaster, and my right leg comfortably elevated, for about six weeks. Then more X-Rays and I'll find out what comes next.

So, dear readers, following my long garden-blogging lay-off from late 2018 until just a month or so ago in 2020, and my brief re-appearance, I'm afraid there's going to be a short lay-off from gardening blogging at least until December, and perhaps until early 2021, depending on how things go.

All I can recommend is that no matter how small the drop, no matter how safe it looks, don't jump off any balconies whatsoever. I have learned my lesson the painful way. I am grounded!




8 comments:

Veronica said...

❤ Sending good thoughts your way!

Anna said...

Oh dear, wishing you a speedy recovery. Nothing worse.

Phil from Newy said...

Ha, Jamie, and lots of lols! It's probably rather moot since it's going to rain like crazy during the months of your recovery. Anyway, wish you well. Us old fogies don't do well with injuries.

A few years back I stepped off a garden bed just 600mm high and chose a lump of wood as the stepping stone down. It rolled and I toppled, but instead of my foot twisting, I fell sideways and landed heavily on my left arm instinctively fully outstretched instead. It took 2 years for the pain to subside in my arm - probably a fracture. But the damage to my "rotator cuff" seems permanent. Some bones are not happy anymore.

Accidents around the home. They happen.

Dana said...

Hope you heal well. So many Canadians break their ankle in down hill ski accidents and wish they had checked out natural supplements to assist with the healing as well as the traditional treatment.

Unknown said...

My husband of six years left me for another girl because I accuse him of seeing another girl and since then i have been trying to get him back but he refuse to come back to me, he was not responding to my call or email and he even unfriend me on face-book and also unfollow me on IG and he told me that he was done with me and my two kids, i got really confused, i was searching on the internet for help and i saw a testimony of how a spell casters help them to get their ex back so i decided to give it a try, but i was even more confused because of many testimonies that i saw, but my mind told me to go with DR SAGURU because i did many research on him and i found nothing bad about him, that was how i contacted him and i explain my problems to him and he cast a love spell for me and guarantee me of 7 days that my ex will come back to me and to my greatest surprise the third day a great miracle fell on me and my ex came back to me on the third day and he beg me for forgiveness DR SAGURU you are just the best, i will continue to publish his name because he is my Savior, we are now one big happy and united family, If you need his help you can Email him Do not loose hope too soon contact him If you need his help you can Email him @ drsagurusolutions@gmail.com for easy and fast communication you can also call or add him on whats-app with this number +12098373537

Jenny said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Jamie!!
Jenny

Therese said...

Hi Jamie!
that is bad news indeed! We wish you a quick recovery and keep away from any dangerous drops!

Cheers,
Therese

Unknown said...

MY HIV HEALING TESTIMONY

My mouth is short of words, i am so happy because Dr voodoo has healed me
from HIV which i have been suffering from the past 5years now, i have
spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, i have
tried all means in life to always i can become HIV negative one day, but
there was no answer until i found Dr voodoo the parish of African who
provide me some healing herbs that i uses , now i am glad telling everyone
that i am now HIV Negative, i am very happy, thank you Dr voodoo for
helping my life comes back newly without any form of crisis, may the good
lord that i serve blessed you Dr voodoo and equip you to the higher grade
for healing my life. i am so amazed. so i will announced to everyone in
this whole world that is HIV positive to please follow my advice and get
healed on time, because we all knows that HIV disease is a deadly
type,contact Dr voodoo for your HIV healing herbs today at:
voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com He will be always happy to assist you
online and ensure you get healed on time, contact Dr voodoo today for
your healing hearbs immediately, you can also
add him on whatsApp +2348140120719 thank you sir.