Monday, May 28, 2012

Smitten with rainbows


There's a Gary Larson cartoon I always think of when I hear the word 'Smite'. In the Larson cartoon God is watching on his computer screen some poor Shmuck walking down the street unaware that there's a grand piano hanging over his head – and God has his finger on the 'Smite' button, ready to zap a sinner (presumably, I'm sure he wouldn't smite losers just for his own amusement...).


All I can say about smiting and me is this: I hope if I do get smitten by the Good Lord, he uses a rainbow instead of a grand piano, as I am already smitten with rainbows and so a bit more smiting from above would actually be quite welcome. I've been noticed!


Pam and I have successfully finished our little spot of business up here in Newcastle and will be heading home to Sydney soon, but as we wandered back towards our apartment, we could see yet another shower coming in from the sea, and by the time we were up to the eighth floor, Pam rushed to her camera and took some lovely little rainbow photos. Alas, I was also there on the balcony to do another pan shot with commentary on my digital camera, folks.


Perhaps there's a pot of goldfish at the end of
this rainbow? As far as Pam is concerned,
this is the best rainbow she has seen – ever!
Such a gorgeously complete half-circle bow! The light 'inside'
the rainbow was a pale pinky yellowy grey blur, while on
 the outside all was much darker and looked full of rain.
You can see the double rainbow forming here;
the whole thing dwarfed the coastal settlement.




Pan shot time, folks, for the full size of this pretty bow in one take.


Thank you Newcastle, you've been quite spectacular this visit, we'll be back again sooner rather than later, I am sure.







6 comments:

Maxichamp said...

I miss the Far Side. Here's the Smite cartoon.

http://boourns.cjb.net/images.php?view=952

rita said...

it's a beauty !

Sue O said...

Lovely rainbow. i think Pam might be right.
FYI, I keep getting this notice from Google when I get to your site.
gardenamateur.blogspot.com contains content from www.thegrowspot.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.

I proceed anyway!

Lanie said...

Gorgeous rainbow. Thanks for that info Sue O - good to know as I think I have visited growspot.com too.

Jamie said...

Thanks for that, Sue. I didn't know about Grow Spot being dodgy (haven't been there for ages). They have been taking an RSS feed of all my posts since back in 2008, and I'd forgotten about them, in fact. I'll see what I can do about cutting off that feed, and maybe that might cure the problem.

Beth said...

Lovely vibrant rainbow photos! What a beautiful sight.